- The Maldives is the flattest country in the world. Its highest point is just 2.4 meters above mean sea level
- The country area is about the same size as Portugal’s with ninety-nine percent of it being water
- The Maldives is comprised of 1,192 coral islands, which are grouped in a double chain of 26 atolls. Atolls are ring shaped reefs that came to be as volcanoes subsided and sea levels rose. The world “atoll” originates in Dhivehi, the country’s national language.
- In the last quarter of the twentieth century the economy changed from the age old traditional system based on fishers and agriculture to Modern economy of tourism industry and a Modernized fishing industry. Maldives enjoy the highest GDP per capita in South Asia today.
- The local Currency is Rufiyaa.
- Maldives boasts one of the highest literacy rates in the world with 98% of the country’s population being able to read and write. Educational standards are among the highest in the region and schools from the British system of education.
- Weather pattern can vary greatly.
- Did you know there work week begins on Sunday and ends on Thursday, there weekend falls on Friday and Saturday.